Enjoy these fresh Hot Cross Bun recipe, made by @veganaugogo on Instagram.
Try this recipe using a range of bushfoods.
We have used Aniseed myrtle but this can be replaced with Lemon Myrtle, 7g Strawberry Gum or 8g Wattleseed with 120g Chocolate chips (when replacing the Aniseed myrtle with Wattleseed and chocolate chips, remove the sultanas and orange zest from the recipe).
You can also purchase these bushfoods through our website or reaching out to email@example.com.
- 500g Strong Bread Flour
- 7g Sachet Instant Yeast
- 70g Caster Sugar
- 7g Aniseed Myrtle or other Bushfood substitute mentioned above
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 300ml Milk or Soy Milk
- 50g Butter or Dairy Free Margarine
- 120g Sultanas
- Zest of 1 Large Orange
- 35g Plain Flour
- 35ml Water
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk and butter and microwave for one minute or until the butter has melted. Mix well.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to cool slightly (if you have a temperature gauge, take it out of the fridge when it’s 37-40 degrees celsius).
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and add the sachet of yeast.
- Then add in the orange zest and sultanas and mix everything well.
- When the milk and butter mixture has cooled slightly, pour into the dry ingredients and mix until it starts to form a dough.
- Lightly flour a flat surface, turn out the dough and knead for 8 minutes or until it looks smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a floured bowl, cover with cling wrap and set aside to proof for one and a half to two hours or until it’s doubled in size.
- When the dough has proofed, remove from the bowl and weigh the dough, then divide into 12 equal portions.
- Roll the portions into balls, making sure to smooth the top of the balls.
- Place the balls onto a lined baking tray 1cm apart, cover and let proof for a further one and a half to two hours.
- When the buns have doubled in size, heat the oven to 200 degrees celsius fan-forced.
- To make the cross, sift the flour into a small bowl, add the water and mix well until there are no lumps.
- Pour the mixture into a small piping bag (you can also use a zip lock bag and cut a small amount off one corner).
- Pipe a line across the buns in both directions.
Baking and Serving
- Bake the buns for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once the buns have finished baking, place the jam in a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds and brush over the top of the buns (you can sieve the jam to remove any lumps, if desired).